Thursday, March 15, 2018

Google's research about voice activate speakers and older consumers

You don't often see Google researching and commenting about older consumers. This might not have been the largest research study in the world (301 active voice-activate speaker owners in the US aged 55+) but it is a start and it provides some interesting insights.

“It's an entity in your life that's always behind the scenes for things you need” was the highlighted comment in article. I have been using the Apple HomePod for the past month and I kind of understand what this comment means. I suspect that the Hey Siri functionality I am using is behind the curve, unlike the brilliant sound quality of the speakers, but I am increasingly using the facilities.

I was a tad skeptical about the technology to start with but I can really see its uses.

Interestingly, the Google article said that the research group had made a lot of suggestions of additional features that could be added to make the technology even more useful. Lots of them around health and safety.

If you are interested in the behaviours of older consumers I suggest you read the article and get using voice activated speakers. Dick Stroud

No comments: